Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Calvinism and Alice in Wonderland

My better half and I finally made it to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D. I enjoyed this movie. I felt like it was fun and dark and had plenty of that creepy secret sauce Tim Burton injects into his films. The 3D experience was decent at best. The last 3D movie I saw was Spy Kids 3D. Alice in Wonderland was quite a bit better. I still think the technology for 3D has some ways to go before it's truly a worthwhile experience. Though I must admit that the 3D glasses have improved greatly. I found that sometimes the 3D image was quite fantastic and nicely done. Other times it seemed to completely fall flat. The effect being so poor that it took away from the movie itself. During a scene very early in the film I noticed a pixalated green-screen pop in view at the base of Alice's father's neck. It only happened in that one shot. But it was one more thing that distracted me causing my disbelief to lose it's suspension. Also, sometimes the action was a bit too fast for the 3D effect to really have an effect, so it seemed lost at times. I'm not fully sold on 3D yet. Stu Maschwitzhe said, "How exactly is 3D "immersive?" Is there stuff behind me? Should I turn around? You know what's immersive? Good movies."

As for the story...

This was a good movie. I didn't care that it didn't follow the original story. In fact, I'm glad it didn't follow the original story. I liked this story. It reminded me of a certain theology I believe. You see, Alice falls down a hole after being drawn to that hole by a Rabbit. She finds herself being told who she is, what she's there to do, and how she's going to do it. Of course, Alice's natural reaction is to reject the notion that she is who they say she is, and that she will do the things they say she will do. For the next hour and a half we watch as Alice is "circumstantially" placed in situations that drive her toward the goal that is laid out before her. The entire time she is making decisions that she believes are contrary to the path that leads to her slaying the dreaded beast, Jabberwocky.

I don't believe Alice is Jesus, or that the Jabberwocky is Satan or even Sin. I just think this was colorful movie that dealt fairly with the idea that we all believe this is "our dream" and we can do whatever we want but that in the end, if we're honest, we can look back on our life and see the work and guidance of something else. This is Calvinism as I believe it.

I am called to an end.

Daily, I make decisions concerning my life. I decide whether or not I will go to this town or that town and if I will do business there. Yet, I also say, "Only if the Lord wills shall I do these things."

Do not misunderstand me. I am no more a robot or a puppet anymore than Alice is in her dream. But whatever happens and wherever I go, The Lord must receive the credit for all of it. This is, I assure you, His world. Nothing goes on in His world beyond or outside of His control.

Alice was shown a scroll that quite specifically laid out Wonderland's history and her slaying the Jabberwocky. Alice then goes "her own way" only to find herself facing the Jabberwocky in the end. I propose had she studied that scroll, she would have seen her own rebellion, her decisions, and the path that led to the end (of the movie). I think if we saw a scroll of our lives, we might shudder and reject the notion that God would direct our actions. We might run in the other direction. We might say repeatedly, "This is my dream. I decide the end." But, in the end, if we were to see the details of that scroll, we would find our situations and decisions written down. We would see that God has worked out every detail in favor of His glory and our good (if you are a Christian. If not, seek Christ. The work He has done on the sinner's behalf redeems every portion of sinner's sin who puts their faith in Him. That is truly good).

I recommend the film. The 3D experience is truly not necessary, but it's novel. You choose.

Or do you?

* I must admit that the preview for Tron looked mighty good.

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. I threw in some funnies and some seriousies. Did you have other thoughts? Have you seen the film?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm, I've never seen alice and wonderland..so i'm thinking about seeing this one because i wont have any ideas about how its 'supposed' to be. but you draw a nice picture of your thoughts..i will have to check it out soon..

    ReplyDelete