Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Child Raising

I will be the first person in my family (at least in the last couple hundred years) to raise my children in a solidly Reformed Christian home. I realized this a few weeks ago. It got me excited. I was raised in a good Christian home. I love my parents and we've always had (and enjoy even more to this day) a good relationship. I'm thankful for all their sacrifices and hard work put into raising three boys. But by the providence of God, our house, growing up, was not reformed. We just weren't aware of solid orthodox Christianity. We are now, as adults, just not when I was growing up.
 So I have a unique opportunity to begin a great and Godly tradition. A tradition with solid reformed principles, of Soteriology, Eschatology, Apologetics, Biblical interpretation, Corporate Worship, Family Worship, and the myriad of ways that Reformed Theology can influence a home and a person.

 Our Gracious God and Father,

     I pray that even as You form my child in the womb, You would be pleased to perform a saving work in that child's heart and mind. I pray that when my child is born, You would convict them of their sin, show them their unrighteousness and their need of Christ as the substitutionary atonement of their sin. I pray that You would help Carly and I to raise them in fear and admonition of You. I pray that they would obey Your commands and that their obedience would be wrought of love for You and Your law. I thank You, our Father, for the covenant You have instituted with Your people. I pray You would honor Your covenant and draw us nigh to Your throne, be it at our death, or Your return.

 In Christ's name I pray.

Amen.





 Bookmark and Share

2 comments: