Friday, April 2, 2010

Love Of Christ So Rich And Free

 " Hard words, if they be true, are better than soft words if they be false."
-Charles H. Spurgeon


"She will bear a son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins."
-Angel of The Lord




Hmm...


This one is interesting.


But it's important, and this is the week of Easter, so it's also timely.

If you've been keeping up you know that we've discussed how sinful we all are and how God must do the work to save us because of that sin. Today our thoughts turn to Christ and His work and what it accomplished for us.

When we talk about Christ's death and resurrection  I suppose we need to really get into what it means for God's people. I'll try to explain the greatness of this as best as I can. I'll probably end up using some multi-syllabic words that don't get used enough these days. I'll include definitions for each. When I studied this subject 7 or 8 years ago I had to look them all up because I grew up in a church that didn't really get terribly "explanational" in their teaching of Christ's work on the cross so I'll try to be more in-depth.

ANYWAY...

God's Wrath.

This may seem a strange place to start when we want to talk about Christ. But I think it's a perfect place to start.

We don't hear too much about this today. Or if we do, it's from some unqualified person yelling about God's wrath against the gays or against New Orleans because of the gays.  This is unfortunate because there is so much to be said about the subject that doesn't get said.

Let's try to say some of these things.

God's Wrath is a product of His Holiness and Justice. Where there is sin, it is in opposition to God's Holiness. When God's Holiness is opposed, his Justice is made known through His Wrath.

The best part about this news is that God's children are not subject to His Wrath. Because we have been justified in Christ through the substitutionary atonement of Christ's sacrifice. Since Christ died in our place, I believe His death actually secured something for me, not just made something possible. Christ's death has removed the curse of sin for the believer. His death did not remove the curse of sin for the non-believer. If this were a "universal" removal of the curse of sin then God would have no reason to send anyone to hell.

Rob Bell said something that really irked me. I quote:

"Heaven is full of forgiven people. Hell is full of forgiven people. Heaven is full of people God loves, whom Jesus died for. Hell is full of forgiven people God loves, whom Jesus died for. The difference is how we choose to live, which story we choose to live in, which version of reality we trust. Ours or God's."
- Velvet Elvis, p.146

Well...where do I start?

I think the only true thing about this statement is that Heaven is full of forgiven people whom God loves.

The reason Hell is not "full of forgiven people whom God loves" is because if somebody is forgiven then they have no debt to pay. Bell justifies this statement by saying it is up to the person to "live" in the correct "version of reality." You know...God's version of reality.


Hmm...

I believe the Bible teaches that if God has set His love upon you, and His Son has paid the price for your debt, and literally removed the curse of sin, you should not expect to find yourself in Hell paying for a debt that has been paid.

God is Just. This would be horrifically unjust.

We believe that the Bible teaches about Hell. We believe that people go there to pay the price for the curse of sin. So we must believe that some people's curse has not been removed.

But I can yack about this all I want. Let's see what Jesus said.

In John chapter 10, Jesus is speaking to some Jews. It was at the time of the Feast of Dedication and Jesus was teaching in the Temple so there were probably a pretty good amount of people listening to Him. These Jews argued about Christ's words. Some even wanted to stone Him. Let's not be confused as they were.


Here's are some of Christ's words: (Edited for brevity and clarity by me)


"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep...I am the good shepherd. I know My own and my own know Me, just as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to My voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of My own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from My Father.”
 So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about Me, but you do not believe because you are not part of My flock. My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one.”


Like I said, I cut out some of the questioning by the suspicious Jews and some other stuff, but feel free to read the whole passage. I linked it up there. I think you'll agree I haven't changed the meaning of any of Christ's words.

So Christ has likened Himself to a shepherd. This means He has a flock. This also means that there are people who are not in His flock. He says this in Verse 26. That some do not believe because they are not part of His flock.

I think we should nitpick a little here. Jesus does not say they are not a part because they don't believe, He says they don't believe because they are not a part of His flock.

We're not saved because we have faith. We have faith because we are saved.

There's a difference.

So Jesus says in Verse 29 that His Father has given Him these sheep. This goes right along with John 6:37. In chapter 6 Jesus talks about who is the author of salvation (God). In chapter 10 He's talking about how these people will be saved (Christ Himself).

In Verse 15 Jesus says He lays down His life for the sheep. This is the point.

Jesus does not need to lay down His life for unbelievers. The sin of their unbelief will be paid for by their life. Jesus lays down His life for His sheep. Their sins are covered by His blood. He has paid the penalty for them.

The apostle Paul confirms this in his letter to the Ephesian church.

Paul says that Christ's love is for His church and He gave Himself up for His church. He says,

"Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish."


Edwin H. Palmer comments on this passage. I didn't think I could beat it so I'll quote it.

"If the Arminian view was correct, that Christ loved the whole world equally and gave Himself up for the world, then the parallel between the bride of the husband and the bride of Christ would fail. For then the injunction would be that a husband should love and give himself up for other than his wife, just as Christ gave Himself up not for the church -His bride- but also for those outside of it. But this would be contradictory to Scripture, which teaches that man should have one wife."

Basically this means that because Christ's sacrifice is for His church only, then it makes sense to compare it to a husbands sacrifice for his wife.

What I'm saying is that Christ has died for only those that His Father in heaven has given to Him. This seems to be what Jesus is teaching throughout the Gospel of John. The Gospel of Matthew confirms this in the first chapter, verse 21, that Christ will come to save His people from their sins.

Why is this important?

Why would we even want to discuss this most divisive teaching?

Because Christ has taught this.

It is important to understand that God's love is so great for the world that He gave His only Son so whoever believes will have eternal life. When Christ died it actually secured the salvation for these people who would believe. Christ didn't die in hopes that some would believe. He died for His sheep knowing God had promised to draw them to Him.

No one can snatch them out of the Father's hand.

God always wins.

Remember up at the top when I mentioned the Wrath of God?

Christ's sacrifice is Christ suffering the wrath of God on the behalf of His people. If Christ died for all, then I believe all would be saved because God's wrath would be satisfied for all. It would be illogical and against God's Justice to punish both Christ and the non-believer. The non-believer is punished. But Christ is not punished for the non-believer. Christ is punished for the believer. It is Christ's sheep who He lays His life down for. Christ didn't die for the goats.

Matthew 25:31-34

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world." (italics mine)
 This is God's election made known through His salvation plan.

I've been accused of some interesting things when I've talked about this idea in the past. I remember one well-intentioned friend telling me that I was "raping God of His purity". Well, my response to things like that is that I truly believe Christ said this is what He came to do.

To save His people.

His sheep.

His church.

To die for them because He loves them.

He did not waste His blood.

Not a drop.

So this Easter season remember that Christ died with a specific group of people in mind. If your faith and trust is in Christ, if you believe that His blood has covered your sin, then count yourself among those He calls His sheep. Let His praises fill your heart for the sacrifice that has satisfied the Wrath of God on your behalf.

Ah...

Good ad infinitum.

Coming Soon: Part 4. It's Science Really.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. 1. The love of Christ is rich and free;
    Fixed on His own eternally;
    Nor earth, nor hell, can it remove;
    Long as He lives, His own He’ll love.

    2. His loving heart engaged to be
    Their everlasting Surety;
    ’Twas love that took their cause in hand,
    And love maintains it to the end.

    Chorus: Love cannot from its post withdraw;
    Nor death, nor hell, nor sin, nor law,
    Can turn the Surety’s heart away;
    He’ll love His own to endless day.

    3. Love has redeemed His sheep with blood;
    And love will bring them safe to God;
    Love calls them all from death to life;
    And love will finish all their strife.

    4. He loves through every changing scene,
    Nor aught from Him can Zion wean;
    Not all the wanderings of her heart
    Can make His love for her depart.
    (Repeat chorus)

    5. At death, beyond the grave, He’ll love;
    In endless bliss, His own shall prove
    The blazing glory of that love
    Which never could from them remove.

    ReplyDelete