Monday, April 12, 2010

Perseverence Of The Saints

 "Our perseverance is not dependent on our good works but on God's grace."
-Loraine Boettner


 "I shall lose none of them."
-Jesus Christ




I used to argue with my friends about this idea.

The idea commonly known as "Once saved, always saved".

Honestly (humorously) , it was always my Baptist friends.

There are a surprising number of people who would disagree with nearly everything I've written here, but would confidently assert that once you are saved, you cannot lose your salvation.

I didn't get it.

At least not back in those days.

It wasn't logical to me. It didn't make sense to believe that we are free to choose or reject God at anytime, until we become Christians. Then we are stuck. In my head it sounded like this:

Say we're all criminals (we are, so that's not hard). And say that in between our heinous crimes we sometimes run into a cop who tells us of our crimes, or we step in the Police Station every now and then just feel a little better about it all. But sometimes, some of us, the ones who aren't quite as bad, make the decision to actually step in the jail cell. We let them lock us up. We stare through the cold bars as we watch them throw away the key. Of course once we've settled into our caged life, we realize that it's not so bad in jail. It's actually quite wonderful. The bed is more comfortable, the friends are nicer, we all pray for each other, and it turns out the the "jailer" is really our savior. He loves us and we love Him, so we stay there forever, because once we're jailed, we're always jailed.

But you see, in my confused head, I thought that if we're choosing go to jail, we should be able to choose when to leave. We can be saved for as long as we want to be saved. I thought, we turn the key to lock ourselves in, but we put that key in our pocket, and if at some point, we decide we like our heinous crimes again, or we stop loving our savior, we just pull that key out of our pocket and we leave. Back to our life of crime and sin on the street.

This is a terrible analogy.

Here's a better analogy.

The reality is that we are born "dead" in that jail cell. Captive. Our sins have put us there. We all deserve to be there. We are lifeless rotting corpses. To our captive eyes the cell looks nice. We can't see the maggots eating everything around us. We don't even know that everybody sits on death row. We are happy, but we are chained. Blissfully waiting to be put to death for our crimes.

Bound.

Enslaved.

Dead.

Together we are worthless.

Then.

Our Savior comes.

He pulls us out of that cell. His Spirit breathes life into our spiritual lungs. We see the maggots and death as He brings us out of captivity. We have life. Our Savior tells us of how He served our jail sentence for us. He sat on death row. He died in our place. Death on a cross. Our will is changed. Where it was bound to sin, now it is bound to Christ. We are led out to freedom never to see that jail again. Never to feel the wrath and consequence of our crimes.

Free.

Alive.

Servant of Christ forever.

There is no going back once God has saved you. He has done the work of freeing you. You have no glory to share. It's all His doing. It's all for His glory.

Jesus said,

"All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.” (Italics mine)

Once God has given you to Christ, Christ will not lose you. Period.


The Book of Jude in the Bible is really quite short. It's one chapter. One page. Jude finishes his letter by saying this,

"Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever."
Jude knew that the power of Salvation lay with God alone. Jude knew that man was not able to keep from stumbling, but that God is able to keep you from stumbling. God will present you blameless in the Glory of Himself.

There are 3 predominate ideas concerning this issue.

1. We decide when we are saved. We decide if we are not to be saved. (ultimate free-will)

2. We decide when we are saved. God keeps us from deciding not to be saved. (mix-n-match)

3.God saves us. We are saved. (God is the author and finisher of our Faith)

You should know by now I believe the 3rd option.

There are certainly sad situations of folks who professed faith, attended church, only to leave, and ultimately reject Christ in their heart. To these poor people Christ will say, "Depart from me for I never knew you." The wool was still over their eyes. If you know somebody who has left the faith, pray God would be pleased to draw them to Christ. Share the Gospel with them. It is the power unto salvation.

If you have forsaken the field of Christ's sheep, remember your first love. Peter said,

"...brothers, be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall. For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

Seek the Lord. Only He has the power to save.

So once saved, always saved.

I still dislike that moniker. I don't feel it accurately represents the Gospel that is found in the Perseverance of the Saints. The Gospel is this...That while we were still sinners, Christ laid down His life for us. The penalty has been paid. Our sins are covered.

Christ has removed the guilty stain.

There is no new guilt.

If you can say this of your sins, then you can be sure of your calling and election. You can be sure of your salvation. You can be sure that because of God's mercy and grace, you will always be saved.



Coming Soon: In Summation.


Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading...I just haven't commented. I'm trying to decide if I agree or disagree, so basically haven't had much to say.

    However, I agree 100% on with you on this post. And (not surprisingly) I'm Baptist.

    ReplyDelete